Saturday, March 24, 2012

I'm going on a trip!











So what is this research trip all about? Being a masters
international student means that I only get me masters degree when I
have finished me service with Peace Corps and written a significant
research paper tying my degree with my experience here in Peru. As
many of you know, I have always been a staunch defender of human
rights. In fact, my international development degree has an emphasis
on them. My passion for several years has been combating
exploitation and human trafficking. As a senior associate of the
Human Trafficking Clinic I wanted to focus on that for my paper -
maybe even bring some new insight the situation in Peru if I am lucky.

I have been very fortunate to have made contact with some of the best
and brightest experts fighting trafficking here in Peru. With my friends from the IOM, USAID, US Department of State, US Department of Homeland Security, and several amazing local organizations, I have planed a research gathering trip that will cover the entire country over the course of three weeks.

I hope to specifically focus on the trafficking of minors from the jungles to the coast. Also, I hear a lot of stories about young girls in prostitution camps where there are heavy mining operations and
would like to investigate further. Don't worry though - I will be extra careful and not be going to areas considered to be dangerous.

If any of this interests you, I will blog about my experience at thewordyabolitionist.wordpress.com throughout the trip.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a worthy undertaking, Chris. Look forward to hearing what you discover.
    Dawn Farrington

    ReplyDelete